Monday, January 28, 2008

Heavenly Cake

This recipe came from one of those inserts in the Sunday newspaper a few years ago. As I have discovered through the years, a lot of people do not like coconut. Since I enjoy the ingredient myself, it is hard for me to understand why everyone else does not like it. (I know, self-absorbed.)
I did not want to eat all of the cake by myself, so I used a little less coconut. The cream cheese filling was a lot like a super thick cream cheese frosting before it was baked. One day I will have to post my cream cheese frosting recipe. It is excellent and could stand up by itself in the corner it is so thick and rich. You do not have worry about it being too thin or watery on cakes. But, that's another day.
I thought I had a white cake mix on hand but I did not. So, I used a butter cake mix. This concerned me a little when I saw that the cream cheese filling had a half a stick of butter in it and the cake mix required a stick. I thought it was going to be too buttery and it was for my taste. Next time I will use a white cake mix as the recipe states. This is a very, very, gooey cake. Allow time for it to setup a little. I added a little extra coconut and pecans to the top of the cake after it baked as a garnish.

Heavenly Cake
Ingredients
1 box white cake mix
1 3.5-ounce can sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup margarine
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 16-ounce box powdered sugar
eggs(for cake mix)

Instructions:
Prepare cake batter according to package instructions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-12-inch baking pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with nuts and coconut. Pour cake batter evenly over the top. Melt margarine in a bowl or medium-size pan. Add the cream cheese and sugar. Mix well. Spoon cream cheese mixture over batter and bake for 40 to 42 minutes.
You can’t test this cake for doneness because it is so gooey. You can substitute your favorite cake mix, such as strawberry or cherry.

No comments: